Old May 10th 04, 09:56 AM
Peter Keller

Default First Helmet : jury is out.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:32:56 +0200, Walter Mitty wrote:

Hmm. Just bought a cycling helmet for my last short tour which
encompassed quite a bit of city cycling. Never wore one before : don't
think I will again.

The added noise and irritation that the helment causes more than offsets
the "possible" help it gives in case of a spill by deducting from my
usual spacial awareness.

I don't know. I still refuse to believe that the helmet won't help in a
spill, but wonder if the %chance of it helping offsets the % increase
in likelihood of an accident due to lower awareness levels.

When our Mandatory Helmet Law came in in 1994 I complied, even though I
was dubious. (Very few data then, just a lot of handwringing and 'it will
save costs in the long run --') I also thought the helmet would detract
from road and traffic awareness, hearing etc. I found actually that my
hearing was enhanced, so that I often thought a car was behind me where
there wasn't one. (Perhaps "distorted" is a better word).
Statistics about whether helmets help in the overall scheme of things seem
to be very confused and contradictory, which is probably just another
way of saying that helmets have a very minor part to play in overall
safety of bicycling. However, they make fertile fodder for yet another
"Helmet war"!!! And you are right, they are very uncomfortable and
irritating.
So I would like the mandatory law repealed and leave it up to the
individual, and encourage measures for bicycling safety which really work.

Peter

--
This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products
were used in its preparation or propagation.