Old March 14th 12, 05:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

Default Eight-year-old slaughtered by taxi driver

On Mar 13, 7:25*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
http://lcc.org.uk/articles/death-of-...ist-in-kingsto...

Who but a loon would let their 8 year old loose on a bike on a busy
London Road. I was encouraged to use a bike at a very early age but I
remember the admonishments from the parents, "Keep away from the main
roads", "If you have to cross a main road get off and push the bike
across" and lots of similar advice, that was nearly sixty years ago
when the level of traffic was tiny compared with now.

I lived in Amsterdam and other Dutch cities, some very modern, one
built from scratch from reclaimed sea bed, when planning from the
outset is incorporated for cycles the results are very good however
they become increasingly poor the older the environs, where I live at
the moment is 1940's development and there was no extra provision in
the initial build, all has been added later with the inevitable
compromises.

To recreate such a system in London would be prohibitively expensive
and take years and years, as cycling will never take off in London,
apart from minority use, the poor, the enthusiasts etc. because of the
simple unavoidable fact that there are too many hills such proposals
are doomed to be dead in the water.