Old November 14th 17, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-13 15:53, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:10:05 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-12 17:46, John B. wrote:

[...]

As an aside, I just measured the front discs on my wife's Honda Jazz
(I think it is called a "Fit"in the U.S.) and to my horror I find that
they are only 240mm (9.4") in diameter. As the nominal weight of the
car is about 1100 Kg (2400lb), as opposed to (probably) an all up
weight of less then 250 lbs for a bicycle, it is obvious that they
can't possibly be large enough to be safe. And Horrors, there isn't
any room to fit larger :-(

Of course, you didn't bother to measure the rotor thickness and didn't
notice the fact that it is rather solid.

Whatever are you talking about? Does the thickness of the disc matter?

sigh

I thought you were an engineer. No, I am not going to answer this
because it should be easy to figure that out for yourself.

If so why are bicycle (and motorcycle) disc such puny little things
hardly thicker then a piece of paper?

Have you ever wondered why a motorcycle rotor weighs over a pound?

https://i2.wp.com/www.yamahar3racing...9/IMG_4199.jpg

Now _that_ would be the dream for the front wheel of my MTB.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/