Old July 20th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default can['t wear the chain out

On 7/20/2019 4:06 PM, wrote:
Ok I have at least 6800 miles on my 11 speed Shimano Ultegra chain. I keep it pretty good take it off after maybe 1000-1500 miles and soak in OMS and such. I don't ride in the rain at least on purpose. The cornfields of Illinois are flat so no real climbs. I measured my chain with machinist rule shows less than 1/16 or close in 1 foot.

I just think keep riding it the bike shifts flawless. But then maybe another voice says, no just put a new chain on they don't last that long something must be amuck. No skipping and I am not a slow rider I general run 50 mile routes at 17-19.5 mph, I no kid at 58, but can chains last that long? Finally I notice I am running Conti GP4000's II and they have 6000 miles on them and not worn out yet.

So would you all put a new chain on I don't see any wear on cassette? I normally get 5K on chains but wow this has me thinking.

BTW the 57 miles this morning even early were brutally hot here. I have drank at least 5 liters of liquid in some form or another and not even had a beer yet....that is coming soon.

An 11 chain at 6800 miles without wear is either a
measurement error or divine intervention.

I'm not going to say it's _not_ divine intervention, but I'd
replace the chain.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/