Old September 29th 06, 11:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Default Melb: Third cyclist critical after road accidents

ghostgum wrote:
cfsmtb Wrote:

In a separate incident, a man in his 20s was hit by a truck at about
11am at the intersection of Clayton Road and Bayview Road in Bayview.
The suburb is Clayton, not Bayview. That's the western entrance to

Monash Uni. So it was probably a Uni student going to or from Uni.
It's an uncontrolled intersection. Doing a right hand turn out of
Bayview Rd to head north along Clayton Rd required a bit of patience
when I used to do it 15 years ago. Sight lines are good at the
intersection. The left lane of Clayton Rd is not wide, so you did get
the odd vehicle passing a bit close.

It does seem to be a problem, but I'm not sure it's any worse than
usual. I noticed when petrol was $1.40 a litre idiot drivers were still
driving like idiots. A lot of the `grid' roads are barely adequate for
cyclist + car, Waverley Rd (where I used to live) and Dorset Rd (where I
live now) are good examples.
Persuade road engineers to design decent roads and you might get
somewhere. I shook our local MP up the other night by suggesting at a
public meeting that council take an innovative approach to public
transport off its own bat. She passed it off with a flip comment but was
obviously rattled.