Old October 4th 03, 09:05 PM
Suzy Jackson

Default cleaning fun...(not)

"gravelmuncher" wrote in message
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.

SRAM make neat little master links that you can open without tools. Their
chains are much better than the Shimano/Campy equivalents in terms of
useability.

Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain? and how the hell are you
to get the damn soap off?! So now my pride and joy is getting dirtier
and i'm still scared i'm gonna stuff something. I did buy some kerosene
to degrease it though...guess now i just need to figure the best way to
go about it.

Don't worry - you'll scratch it soon, and then you'll be able to enjoy it
that much better.

Regards,

Suzy