Old October 8th 03, 12:15 PM
Arpit

Default cleaning fun...(not)

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:39:08 +1000, "Deep Freud Moors"
wrote:

gravelmuncher wrote in message
Anonymous wrote:
Tim Jones wrote:
Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for
oiling their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?
Sure, thats good for regular riding. Its penetrating, and easy to
apply. But like any oil, dirt sticks. So if you ride in dirt, consider
a dry lube. It needs to be applied much more often though. And its

only
the inside of the chain that needs to be lubed, so wipe excess oil off
the outside.

I found a spray/lube/displacer with zonyl in it, so i'll give it a go.
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.

It's a problem with cheap and nasty chains. After a while though, you do get
good at breaking chains though. Oiling the link before breaking it can do
wonders (would you believe???). And naturally breaking it at a different
point each time makes sense.

ssigh, my chain appears to be rivetted together, no breaking for me
Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain? and how the hell are you
to get the damn soap off?! So now my pride and joy is getting dirtier
and i'm still scared i'm gonna stuff something. I did buy some kerosene
to degrease it though...guess now i just need to figure the best way to
go about it.

With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out. Dirt and poorly adjusted
cones are the two things that will kill bearings and cones faster than
anything else.

There are super-greases, like MBL, which definitely do assist in
lubrication, but you have to reapply it pretty regularly. The benefits of
the reduced friction are very small.
---
DFM