Old October 5th 03, 12:22 PM
Mike

Default cleaning fun...(not)

Deep Freud Moors wrote:
gravelmuncher wrote in message

I found a spray/lube/displacer with zonyl in it, so i'll give it a go.
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.

Its also less effort to clean it on the bike. Just get one of those
gadgets that clips onto the chain, and runs it between three brush
wheels, through a degreaser bath. Less than $20.

Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain?

Slightly exagerrated. Don't run a HIGH PRESSURE hose intop the bearings.
ie, keep the pressure down, or be careful where you aim it.

With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out.

You forgot noise! I hate the squeal of dry bearings.