Old January 21st 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dave Lehnen[_2_]

Default Getting down to 1 bike - what would you pick

SMS wrote:
On 1/20/2012 12:37 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: it's heavy.

Besides the cost and weight, the issue is that you really still need a
front derailleur with at least two chain rings.

On one of my folders I have a Nexus Dual Drive 7 x 3 which works well
and is much lighter achieving a good gearing range with no front
derailleur and at low cost.

The Rohloff has 5.26:1 range. That's more range than a typical road
triple (53 - xx - 30) with a 12-34 cassette, which gives about a 5.01:1
range.

Dave Lehnen