Old November 18th 13, 09:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
James[_8_]

Default bulbs to LEDs

On 14/11/13 01:04, Trent W. Buck wrote:
Zebee Johnstone writes:

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 07 Aug 2013 11:10:14 +1000
Trent W. Buck wrote:
Zebee Johnstone writes:
The dollar's just dived so it ain't as easy as it was, but look at
bike24.de and see if there's anything you can come at.

A couple of weeks ago my OEM bulb headlamp decided to get stuck on "dim"
instead of the more useful on/auto/off settings it started with.

So I finally got around to buying an LED-based replacement from bike24.
IIRC it worked out at AUD70, of which about a third was shipping. Meh;
I tend to view capital expenses as an investment.

Arrived Tue, installed it Wed. Brief panic because until I hooked up
the ground, the rear light was lighting up, but the front one wasn't.

Used it the last two nights and it's *definitely* nicer than the bulb
one, thanks for putting me onto bike24.

It's not *super* bright, but I'm OK with that. Assuming both spec sheets
are honest, I went from 17lux to 25lux. Most of my commute is under
street lighting anyway.

The light output is much whiter than the bulb, and the output is mostly
in two rectangles, with the upper-middle bit brightest:

+---+-------+---+
| | | |
| +-------+ |
| |
+---------------+

But it does some funky optics so there's also dimmer light spilling
around the edges (inc. straight down) as well. And it has a capacitor,
so when stopped or going up a steep hill, it stays on. That always
annoyed me with the previous one.

One thing I didn't expect, is that it flickers a bit even at speed,
whereas with a bulb that was only noticable when the bulb was only just
getting enough juice to light up.

The model I got was a B+M Classic (IIRC the "CSNDI" flavour).

I'm waiting for this one...

http://www.xxcycle.com/busch-and-mul...ndi-04,,en.php

--
JS