Old February 20th 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:10:18 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/19/2018 10:24 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Di2 is nice, and I have no worry about batteries going dead, but it is a luxury I can live without. It is not game-changing in the same way as STI/Ergo except for those people who can use the remote switch for sprinting or tri or what-have-you. It also allows programming and software updating, etc., which is fine for the Garmin set, but I've run out of brain cells for learning new technology, or I'm running low.

I'm not part of the Garmin set. But I'm getting more and more bothered
by the "soft" aspect of software.

What I mean is, with anything from word processing to computer drafting
to music notation software to smart phone apps to even a weather
predicting web page, I have to deal with "updates" and "improvements."
So the look and feel changes. Or what was once in this menu is now in
some other menu. Or the steps I took to make something happen no longer
work, and the "help" file hasn't been updated to tell me the alternative.

This is bad enough on stuff I use regularly. On things I would do only
rarely (like fine tuning shift parameters on a Di2 system) it can be
really frustrating.

One you learn to use a ratchet wrench, you always know how to use a
ratchet wrench. I wish software was like that.

In the software field one thing I've found out is once you get a
version of an application that you like NEVER update it :-)

I feel that bicycles are very much the same.
--
Cheers,

John B.