Old August 8th 05, 11:27 PM
Donald Gillies

Default Need help - Reynolds 20-30 or 531?

RALEIGH 20-30 high-carbon tubing is steel plain-gauge tubing. It was
used on my 28 lbs Raleigh Grand Prix, circa 1972, and the USA Record
Ace, a low-level bike in the USA, circa 1978. In the 23.5" size those
frames were pretty light & lively. At the time it was possible to
build a 22 lbs bike, this bike was 6 lbs heavier and perhaps half of
the weight was on the frameset, and half was on the components (steel
crank, hubs, rims, peddles, etc.)

Send me a photo of the other bicycle including lugs & dropouts & fork
crown and I can probably identify it for you - year and model. By the
way, most of the low-end raleighs were made by Gazelle of Holland and
so a "Made in England" bicycle is probably a better bike than your
Record Ace.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA