Old September 18th 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH Steinbruner

Default eBike News

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 5:45:42 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
I got my wife an eBike for her birthday via my son at Specialized. Box arrived yesterday, and I about herniated myself getting it into the garage. One of these: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...o-vado-reivew/ I had no idea it was a Buycycling Editor's choice, but I'll go with it. Being family, I got employee pricing -- otherwise it would have been a harder choice. Even the bottom of the range is expensive, but it is a nice bike.

I checked out the link...nice looking machine. I am wondering, though, what the battery voltage is (36 or 48V?) and the motor wattage. It looks like it might be a Yamaha so that would make it 250 watts, yes?
Seems unlikely it could hit 28 mph. 600 watt, perhaps?

There were some odd-ball assembly issues, and I still have to update the firmware (which is like a huge thing because you want the latest performance advantages!), but it went together fine. Lots of bells (literally) and whistles.

My wife is 5'10" (or used to be), so my son sized her as a large, which is fine for saddle to pedal distance, but the tire height/BB makes the stand-over high, even with a sloping top-tube. The thing is like a mini-motorcycle. She has some neuro/ortho conditions that affect her mobility, but she seems to be fine swinging her leg over the saddle and off the bike. She doesn't complain, which is sometimes a problem. "Oh its fine [followed by catastrophe]." I do worry about the size of the thing, though.

Man, I'm sorry to hear this...why do our bodies do this to us?

On max setting, the bike is super fast with a top speed of 28mph. I'm going to throw on a QR seatpost clamp so I can use it for shopping. You would need a truck to steal it, and it has a kickstand and a really swanky little rack. The future is now! My son is trying to get me interested in the mega-zillion dollar 22lb stealth eBikes -- so I can keep up with him, but I would need a winning lottery ticket, even at employee pricing.

I think you said it's a "Type 3", I did not know they had types and I now have something to look up.
I like that it just has 3 power levels...simplicity. The BaFang kits give 9 levels of assist, I think.
Does the bike have a plain old no-pedal throttle, too? That would be nice.

In another small bicycle-world twist, my son tells me I'll need a hitch rack tray that my wife can roll the bike onto -- made by Yakima. So I walk down the street and ask my neighbor and best bicycling buddy -- who is head of products for Yakima and happened to be working in his yard, for a rack. Its on the way. Life is good.

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm seeing a lot of ebikes around here. (Santa Cruz) Lithium batteries have made all the difference.

Pureheart in Aptos