Old August 12th 18, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Riding through broken glass

Calloo, callay, oh frabjous day! A search of the entire folder shows
that I've never written on the topic of riding over sharp objects. Or
if I did, I didn't use the word "glass".

Ideally, when somebody smashes a few bottles in your path, you stop
and walk around the mess, and carefully brush your tires before
mounting up again. But one rarely sees the glass soon enough to do
that.

When you see that you are going to ride through a field of glass, you
may slow down as much as you can before hitting it, but you must not
brake, pedal, or steer while in it. All these actions scrub your
tires against the pavement. Most flakes of glass lie flat and you can
safely roll over them, but if you rub back and forth, you are likely
to find an edge.

So brake when you see glass ahead, and at the same time line up for
the safest path through. Stop braking before there's a chance that an
outlying flake is under your wheel, and roll through the glass without
allowing anything but air resistance to change your velocity.

Once through, you will be going slow enough that you can stop without
scrubbing your tires much. Get off, inspect your tires, and brush
them with something disposable or your leather-protected palms.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---