Old April 29th 19, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Mother, dear mother, pray make my bed soon

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 22:27:38 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I haven't
measured it yet, but it's at *least* a quarter century.

27.1 miles, give or take. There's a lot of places where the route
Google measured wasn't exactly the route I took -- I left off the lap
around the parking lot behind a grammer school after I mistook a
driveway for 300 N, for example. At the time I muttered that I should
have brewed stronger tea, but it *was* the first time I've gone south
on 150 W. And everybody *else* was turning.

Google couldn't plot the section that ended with me following a pickup
through a card-operated gate. The gate behind DePuy used to be
one-way: you could leave, but you needed an employee card to get in.
The gates were primarily symbolic, like the gates at a railroad
crossing except that they swung horizontally instead of vertically.
But since my last visit, they have put in serious gates, they've
stopped leaving them open with only a sign asking people to check in,
and they've added a chain-link fence. (The campus is entirely open to
everybody on the other side.)

So from now on, I'll have to go to 250 E and come back again. And the
extra miles are on US 30 on one side and Old 30 on the other.

On a more-cheerful note, the busnesses in Sprawl Three got together
and paid to have the bomb craters on Commerce Drive replaced with
smooth new pavement. *And* the City of Warsaw has promised to keep it
that way. The jog and split just before the Marathon station will no
longer require me to turn right and left at the same time.

After measuring my distance, I fiddled with the settings and changed
the units. 43.6 kilometers is a *much* more impressive ride!

I've jumped from a tad more than a quarter century to almost half a
metric century!

Pity Google Maps doesn't have the option of using furlongs, rods, or
smoots.

Just looked up "smoots" to make sure I was spelling it right, and
Wikipedia says Google *does* offer smoots. But it's not on the menu.

I'd ruther have fathoms.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/