Old July 4th 19, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Aluminum bikes

On 7/4/2019 12:01 AM, AK wrote:
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 11:00:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 10:14:09 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
I saw one of those fat tire bikes in the shop.

I was very surprised as to how light it was compared to my Huffy MB.

Was it made from aluminum?

On another topic about flat tire tips

I got a Microflate Nano tire inflator with a 20 gram cartridge.

I already had tire levers,spare tube and 15 mm wrench.

Have not had a flat in over 5 years.

What is the procedure for a rear tire flat?

Thanks,
Andy

Procedure for a rear tire flat???
1. Take wheel off bike. Quick release or 15mm wrench if its a single speed track hub.
2. Use tire levers to take tire off. Only one side of tire.
3. Pull tube out of tire.
4. Use PUMP to inflate tube and find the hole that is leaking.
5. Find that exact same spot on the tire and check the tire for the thorn, rock, truck tire wire that caused the flat. It might still be embedded in the bike tire and cause a replacement tube to go flat. That is a big no no of fixing flats. Not finding what caused the first flat and getting it out of the tire so the second tube does not also go flat.
6. Put a little air into the replacement tube with your PUMP. Just enough to give it some shape.
7. Put it into the tire and work the tire back onto the rim with your thumbs. Try not to use the levers to get the tire back onto the rim because you can pinch the new tube against the rim and put a hole into the new tube.
8. Inflate tube and reinstall on bike.
9. Continue ride.

I have never used those stupid inflating things so whatever.

Pulling the tire off with the chain is not real simple.

Especially if you have no quick release.

What about repairing the tube in situ?

Peruse a few of these:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...le+flat+repair

Shift to outside sprocket in the rear.
Undo wheel fastener(s) (QR or nuts slack) then pull the rear
changer back away from the crank. This leaves plenty of
space to lift sprocket away from the chain.

All this is simpler and easier with bike upside down so you
can see what the hell you're doing and you won't run out of
hands.

People with some experience repairing punctures (me, for
example) eschew sneaking the tube out at one place as we
have no idea what the inside of the casing, the rim or the
rim liner looks like. Nobody likes flat tires but I
especially hate repeat flat tires.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/