Old July 14th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Urban Cycling Video NYC

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:22:40 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 2:18:40 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:

Thanks, Jay, but, I'm a little confused, so while we have you on the line:

You say one can't make a citizen's arrest for dooring because...
(Guess it's a "traffic violation" and not "a crime"? And to be "a
crime" the offense must be at least a misdemeanor?

Yes, it has to be a crime and not an violation. A "crime" is an offense that carries a prison term -- and a violation is an offense that carries a fine, and the violation can be of a lot of laws and not just a traffic violation. But yes, a "crime" includes a misdemeanor.

It's all moot anyway, my bike bag is too full to hold handcuffs.
(inflator, patch kit, spare tubes, multitool, tire boot, tire levers,
"emergency" 1oz bottle of sunblock, reading glasses [to remove those
d**n Michelin wires my tires pick up], not to mention all the excess
clothes I started the ride with.)

BTW, do you suppose an Ottolock would work in a pinch as makeshift
handcuffs? I was toying with getting an Ottolock until I saw what
short work a pair of snips made of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ah3RA0Alo

Just get some of those 12" heavy duty plastic wire ties -- that's what I use for handcuffs when I'm riding my racing bike and want to keep things light. I'm going to arrest the next fat guy I see in a world champion jersey for criminal impersonation of a world champion.

Zip ties? Seriously? Not for me!

I'm going to get good, old fashion steel handcuffs. Proven technology! Easy to
repair on the road! No plastic to foul our oceans and get in turtles nostrils!

That's another reason you need a big handlebar bag. Save the turtles!

- Frank Krygowski