Old January 13th 08, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon[_2_]

Default Downtube mounted gear chager question.

It's just about a year since I acquired a Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate replica
in fixie guise. I've had a couple of attempts at riding it and have decided
to reverse engineer the bike back into its geared incarnation - I don't
think that fixed wheel is for me.

One of the things that's puzzling me is that the mounts for the downtube
sufters appear to be just squares of metal with a hole in the middle and the
down tube blanks off the the bottom of the hole effectively making it a
blind hole. There is insuffient metal in the brazed on squares to allow
screw threading to take place. Does anyone have any idea what sort of
mechanism fitted onto these squares? Oh and another refinement is that the
derailleur cables have tubes let into the frame to allow internal routing of
the cables. Will this complicate matters?

Cheers

Vernon