Old April 3rd 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Tires

On 01/04/18 10:43, John B. wrote:

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

I don't understand why you get more snake bite flats on the front tyre,
unless you run substantially less pressure there, or somehow lift your
arse before the back wheel hits.

I use a 23mm front and a 25mm rear, but the rear measures 27mm. It
certainly helps to smooth out rougher roads, of which we have in
abundance.

--
JS