Old November 25th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Default 36er, handlebars and bike seat??

I went out and got a seat and post and tried it out.

I am using my handlebar with a Kalloy seatpost (unfortunately 24.0 so I
needed to shim) and a KHS saddle from the cheap bin. This is on my 26"
MUni because that is the only unicycle I have at the moment.

It took me a while to get the seat angle and height right but I
eventually found a setting that was fairly comfortable. I had to turn
the seatpost backwards to let the seat sit flat when I rode.

First thing I noticed was how free it felt on the front part of my
crotch. the seat felt like... I was riding a bike. All my weight was on
my 'sit bones' and the handle. The next thing I noticed was an absence
of rubbing. I never really thought of it before but my legs rub allot on
a unicycle seat. Since there was less between my legs I found that I was
riding with my knees closer together and seemed to spin (160mm cranks,
HA!) fairly smooth.

So far it was awesome. I could see myself going indefinitely without
discomfort with a better seat. I can only ride for about an hour strait
before I start getting discomfort with a unicycle seat.

Then I straitened out taking the weight off the handlebars. It went
from weight on my hand and sit bones to weight on my legs and a single
point in my crotch. Not comfortable at all.

I think my handlebars are a bit shorter than ideal for this setup but I
really liked what I had experienced so far as far as a road setup is
concerned. I think that my next road unicycle will have a long handle
and bike seat setup.

A bit random but I think that something like the WTB Laser (which I
have on my bike) would be the ideal seat for this. A bit softer than a
pure road/race seat and actually designed to be sat on for extended
periods of time unlike a downhill seat.

and here is an old picture with my handle for those not familiar with
it. I don't have a camera to take pics of the current test setup.
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/m...f982b4b17877a]

--
saskatchewanian