Old May 22nd 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Axle Widths

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 4:36:02 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/21/2017 4:46 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:35:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
axle lengths

http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/r...les+Campagnolo

strong but re-straighten able in vise with square n 11 pound shirt handle hammer

Thanks but two points - it would be an 8 mm axle. And it came to me that 7, 8 and 9 speed cassettes all increased the width one step each increase in speed but that 10 speed cassettes were only the width of a 9 speed.

So when I get around to putting all the components onto the Basso when they all arrive the 10 speed should work fine. Looking at Sheldon't crib sheet it says that 130 mm was the same for all of more width than 7 speed. Though I thought that I remembered 124, 126 and 127 spacing before getting to 130.

Four/five speed format generally 120/121mm, six speed and
early sevens 125/126mm, slowly creeping over a few years[1]
to 130mm where we remain today for non-disc road bikes.

Ten speed Campagnolo cassettes hang over on the low gear
side using the same cassette body as nine. Early 8 cassette
bodies will not accept current cassettes see image:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/CACS890.JPG

You can see the offset of that ten speed low gear on the right.

[1] A road hub from the mid-1970s to about 1992 could well
be just about any number in that range, 'standards'
notwithstanding.

I do have the stepped 9 speed cassettes and there is a lot of clearance on the smallest cog. So I'm sure that the 10 speed will work. And looking in my cupboard I discovered a new spare 10 speed cassette.

So by the end of the week I should be able to have a fully set up Basso which I can use on the hardest rides. The only thing you have to remember is to always have the inside pedal up since the Loto BB is almost an inch lower than the Eddy.