Old November 10th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Lytning

Default Helmet laws???

munifreaker wrote:
Searching the internet, I found this much information:

231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride,
propelled exclusively *by human power through a belt, chain, or
gears,*
and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject
to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and
21200.5.

It would seem that this does exclude *most* unicycles... as most are
Direct Drive without belts, gears, or chains...

munifreaker wrote:
467. (a) A "pedestrian" is any person who is afoot or who is using
any of the following:
(1) A means of conveyance propelled by human power other than a
bicycle.
(2) An electric personal assistive mobility device.
(b) "Pedestrian" includes any person who is operating a
self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized
quadricycle and, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise
unable to move about as a pedestrian, as specified in subdivision
(a).
(c) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1,
2008, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted
statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2008, deletes or extends
that date.

What I find more interesting is that 'Pedestrians' in (b) are NOT
required to wear any protective gear... as they would be near
completely unable to protect themselves in a fall or other mishap... as
others would.

munifreaker wrote:
So I was wondering, does this mean you are not legally forced to wear a
helmet while unicycling?

I would tend to agree with you... unless you are riding anything other
then a very basic unicycle...
However... it is just a good idea to wear a helmet and other protective
gear just to keep your brains and body intact...

munifreaker wrote:
A pedestrian doesn't have to wear a helmet to walk,...

and sadly there are those that should...

--
Lytning
http://www.usenet.com