Old April 5th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

Default SM+ question: 700x35c -or- 700x38c for Chicago year round commuting?

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:49:43 -0700, wrote:

Look into a top-dollar MTB post. 210lbs, a backpack and that lax seat tube
angle might be too much for a lesser seatpost. I have an old Control Tech
(back from when that was USA made) seatpost that seems to be extruded with
a (|) profile looking at it from the bottom (except round). I'm sure
there are other similar posts available now.

Actually, some of the cheaper ones are stronger, especially the steel
ones. However some of the high dollar ones are really strong too, like
the Syncros ones which are supposedly extra stout in the extra long
lengths.

I've been riding an extra long, well-extended Syncros on my MTB for years
with no problems, but I'm not 210 LB. However it was probably worth the
seemingly outrageous 80 bucks I paid over 10 years ago.

Matt O.