Old August 8th 08, 09:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Hober

Default Hardtail vs. Full-Suspension

Hello Everyone,

I'm certain this question gets asked ad nauseum, but I'm newly back here.
(I see that a certain Mikey V. is still here as well.)

Anyway, I want to try trail riding more. My old ride has approx. 1" of
front suspension and is a hard tail with V-brakes. I want to get approx.
4' or 5" of front suspension plus disk brakes in a quality package.

How important is a full-suspension? The guy at the bike shop said that
full-suspension was six of one, and a half-dozen of another.

The guy at the bike shop has years and years of experience and used to
ride and even race and downhill on bikes with no suspension at all.
Let's face it, a pro on a totally non-suspended bike would certainly be a
lot better than me on the fanciest bike on the planet.

I'll be doing trail riding, some gravel roads, certainly around town,
maybe very occasionally take a chair lift ride up and coast down.

I don't think I'll be needing 6" or more of front suspension.

The idea of a hard tail appeals to me in terms of a little less weight
and less mechanical stuff to go wrong. If I had some money and was going
to buy a new hard tail today, I'd probably be looking at something like a
Felt Q720.

Any comments or suggestions? Thank you.

The Rocket Man