Old June 16th 11, 06:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default 2 punctures in one ride

On 16/06/2011 6:36 AM, John Henderson wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

Might have a read of what others say elsewhere about solids. Anybody in
this newsgroup who has used solids and cares to impart some life
experiences?

Sheldon Brown said this:

"Airless tires have been obsolete for over a century, but
crackpot "inventors" keep trying to bring them back. They are
heavy, slow and give a harsh ride. They are also likely to cause
wheel damage, due to their poor cushioning ability."

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

Hm, I did have some of me own "crackpot" ideas until I read Sheldon
Brown's comments.

I am not sure when Brown wrote that article but maybe there is some
kinda new magicky foam which is hard on the outside and goes
progressively softer towards the middle or something like that.

Notwithstanding the above magic foam, Brown's further comments seem to
present a challenge to ANY foam tyre, ie " .. a pneumatic tire uses all
of the air in the whole tube as a shock absorber, while foam-type
"airless" tires/tubes only use the air in the immediate area of impact."