Old April 29th 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default trailer: hole, gap, washer, grooves, and dome nuts

John B. writes:

I'm not sure you explained that sufficiently, but if
you mean that the outboard end of the axle is
aligned by fitting through a hole and the inboard
end fits in a slot and can be wiggled back and forth
I would guess that is an design feature which is
intended to allow for sloppy fit ups and
misalignment during manufacture.

OK, manufacture - of course! I don't know why
I assumed it would be perfect just because it is made
in a factory...

And 2), is there a method how to get the wheel
plain straight? No matter how careful I do it, it
seems I pull the axle a little bit out of the
original alignment with that last pull to seal it.

Very careful twisting the wrench :-) That is a joke
but essentially true. You will need to learn how to
tighten a nut/bolt by twisting only, no pulling on
long wrench handles which dislocates things.

OK

3) Speaking of dome nuts, some have grooves, if
that means you don't use a washer, what has more
strength, plain + washer or just grooves?

By "grooves" I assume that you mean grooves on the
face of the nut as an anti-loosen feature, but that
doesn't have anything to do with the strength of the
nut-axle joining which would be a feature of the nut
and axle thread engagement.

Yes, thats what I mean, "anti-loosen", then! Does one
hold better than the other in general? Or roughly
the same?

- so far: 29 Blogomatic articles -