Old April 30th 16, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default trailer: hole, gap, washer, grooves, and dome nuts

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 21:47:23 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

I'm not sure you explained that sufficiently, but if
you mean that the outboard end of the axle is
aligned by fitting through a hole and the inboard
end fits in a slot and can be wiggled back and forth
I would guess that is an design feature which is
intended to allow for sloppy fit ups and
misalignment during manufacture.

OK, manufacture - of course! I don't know why
I assumed it would be perfect just because it is made
in a factory...

And 2), is there a method how to get the wheel
plain straight? No matter how careful I do it, it
seems I pull the axle a little bit out of the
original alignment with that last pull to seal it.

Very careful twisting the wrench :-) That is a joke
but essentially true. You will need to learn how to
tighten a nut/bolt by twisting only, no pulling on
long wrench handles which dislocates things.

OK

3) Speaking of dome nuts, some have grooves, if
that means you don't use a washer, what has more
strength, plain + washer or just grooves?

By "grooves" I assume that you mean grooves on the
face of the nut as an anti-loosen feature, but that
doesn't have anything to do with the strength of the
nut-axle joining which would be a feature of the nut
and axle thread engagement.

Yes, thats what I mean, "anti-loosen", then! Does one
hold better than the other in general? Or roughly
the same?

I'm not sure. The serrated face nuts are quite widely used in
automobiles, I believe. But are not used at all on aircraft, to my
knowledge.

On the other hand while automobile operators certainly get upset at
having to get out and walk aircraft operators get positively rabid.
:-)

--

Cheers,

John B.