Old September 9th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Taya Chain

On 2017-09-08 19:08, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 6:52:52 PM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 9/8/2017 3:06 PM, Joerg wrote:

Same with the tires BTW. They had 60k miles, still half the
tread but were well past 10 years. Looked good buy common
recommendations state that means it's time to buy new tires.
Try _that_ with a bicycle tire.

60,000 miles on the tires and they still had half the tread
left? Meaning your car tires would last 120,000 miles if they
weren't too old?

Joerg, you need someone to edit your fantastic claims, to give
them at least a _hint_ of plausibility.

Joerg needs to learn that tires have a shelf-life.
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires...-in-six-years/ It's
not just about tread wear.

Age is exactly why I replaced them, as I wrote above. Good quality
truck tries can be pushed past 10 years but not much. It greatly
depends on whether the vehicle sits in the weather and sun all day.
Mine doesn't, it lives in the garage, protected from sunlight and
weather. I also gave the the occasional talc rub.

I defended a death case involving tread separation on a tire that
had more than half its tread left.

It happens. I had it happen on a brand new bicycle tire. Pieces
flew off to the point where I could barely push the bike home. But
I had to because nobody could pick me up on singletrack.

Bicyclists would be outraged if their tire tread fell of and
killed them! I can't believe what car owners put up with. They
should make car tires as durable as bike tires! And for a dollar.
No, make that $.50.

Gatorskin $45, tread completely gone after 2500mi.

Truck tire, $65, tread 50% reduced after 60000mi.

Any questions?

Nashbar City Rambler $9.99. Any questions?

Yes: How many miles until bald? That one is probably not even coming
close to 2500mi.

https://tinyurl.com/y8qdglvs BTW, your truck tire is about half the
price of the tires on my Subaru and hardly typical of a decent
all-weather tire from Michelin or other quality tire maker.

I have Michelins on there as my 2nd set. It appears they will also last
until they have to be swapped because of age. Cost me $65/tire at
Costco. But hard to say because now my car only travels 1/5th or less of
the miles that my bikes do. No more commute and if I had one I'd
probably use the bikes a lot (there is now a bike path).

... And the
Gatorskin is just over-priced, but then again, the price is based on
the market. It's capitalism. Buy something else.

Now, you could go out and buy a hardcase tire that never dies, but it
would be like riding on a wagon wheel. Go out and buy some of my
Innova studs without the studs. Those are like tank tracks. I hate
them.

Gimmee the everlasting wagon wheel! Though it would have to be 25mm or
less, else my road bike frame won't swallow it.

A classic example how not to design a web site:

http://www.innovatires.com/menu.php?xCPId=B05

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/