Old June 10th 18, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Cyclist mows down child, attacks lady witness and then cycles away.

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 5:09:22 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 10/06/18 13:50, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 11:02:49 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 09/06/18 15:23, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 1:14:38 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 09/06/18 11:16, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:37:07 AM UTC+1, TMS320
wrote:
On 08/06/18 10:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed
on cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have
nothing to with riding a bike.

I believe cars are responsible for a lot of society's ills.
In a car you are your own little world and other people are
just in the way.

In a car, I feel hemmed in and constrained. A bike gives a
very different view of the world. I believe I transfer some of
the feeling of vulnerability, the spatial and defensive skills
learned on a bike into driving.

As I have said before, safe driving is more about attitude than
machine control.

Machine control is not about speed at all cost. A driver with all
the attitude in the world but operating at the limit of ability is
not safe. A technical driver has better ability to respond to
conditions.

F1 drivers take corners at the raged edge of the machines ability.
Some people equate than with being a good driver, I disagree.

It would certainly be a completely different activity to driving on
public roads.

Sometimes I thrash a go-cart. Going all out I have no trouble with left
foot braking yet when it comes to pottering on yellow lights I sometimes
have to think about it, probably because the pace becomes like driving a
normal car. I've also done some gliding - something quite unlike a
wheeled vehicle.

I am now a volunteer minibus driver for a charity. Giving the 14 people
behind a comfortable journey is the first consideration and the art is
just as much a "performance" activity as anything else; thrashing a
go-cart or gliding may seem worlds apart from this but I am certain
there are pathways lodged in the neurons that contribute.

There are old pilots and bold pilots but there no old bold pilots.