Old October 18th 03, 02:54 PM
Ronald

Default Trek 5200 Tire Recommendations

I've been using Vrdestein Fortezzas since August, and have had no flats.

These seem like very good puncture proof tyres. I ride Continental GrandPrix (S) myself, bit heavier but i can get them very cheap
(11.35 euros) so that makes an easy choice. For a trainingtyre cheap tyres are good flat protection in themselves because you change
them sooner, on my grouprides it's usually the guys with the expensive tyres that get the flats, because they want to get their
money out of them. Dutch bikemag Fiets did a tyre test in 2002, you can see the results at:
http://www.ultimade.nl/bikepages/ind...?page=tyretest

"JayofMontreal" wrote in message .. .
I've been using Vrdestein Fortezzas since August, and have had no flats.
They are a nice tire, don't wear quickly, but give very good road adhesion.
Additionally, you can pump them up to 145psi and they ride very nicely.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
David wrote:
Hi Group,

I'm looking for suggestions on new tires to put on my 5200. I was
getting way too many flats with the stock tires. Don't know if it's
because of the tires or just some seriously bad luck, but I was
thinking changing tires would help. I'll be doing some long distance
riding in a few weeks touring through some of the southern states.
Any suggestions on some good tires to put on for the ride? Thanks!

David

I'm using Conti GP 3000 on mine now. Haven't had them long enough to

really
say anything about quality, bu tno flats yet at least. They seem to hold

up
ok which is more than I can say for the Hutchinsson Kevlar Comp. They

didn't
last 500 km.
Michelin Axial Pro lasted me quite nicely but I don't think they're made
anymore?
Maybe you could look into getting a wider tire like 25 mm if you are going
on an explicit tour.

--
Perre

---