Old December 17th 18, 02:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

Default Blue railway signals?

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 14:27:42 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/12/2018 13:37, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:30:43 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/12/2018 09:25, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2018 19:25, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:21:55 +0000, Fred Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:22:05 -0000, Max Demian

wrote:

====snip====

Usually hot is on the left.

Seems to be that way on all my sinks, but I'd say in other people's
houses I see it the other way round in about 20% of cases. When I
were
a lad, the bathroom sink was definitely the other way round, can't
remember the kitchen sink.

Back in the day when *cold* running water was a luxury, the tap
(fawcet)
would be mounted on the RHS for ease of use by right handed people
(the
majority of the population - most left handers learn soon enough to
become ambidextrous).

The hot tap being a much later luxury add on had to make do with
the
only remaining space on the LHS. Thus was the convention of LHS
hot/RHS
cold tap placement born. The other way round is usually the result of
lazy plumbing and pure chance.

Any evidence for that? Surely they would put the single tap in the
middle for symmetry. Was there ever a time when hot taps were added as
an extra to an existing cold water tap, rather than installing them
together?

I have seen te odd one like that yes, in pretty old un-renovated
properties back in the 1970s

Sounds like a neat, invented explanation.

That I agree with.

As soon as twin taps were vthe norm for some reaosn sonmeone decided
that the right hand more often than not wanted the cold tap

Depends on the person. I always wash my hands in cold water, I don't
see the need for hot water to dissolve a bar of soap. Some people
always use hot water, for comfort I think.

Prior to that the cold tap was generally either central or in an random
corner

Probably just depending in where the pipe happened to be. Why run it
further than necessary?

Mind you, you'd think a sink designed for one tap would have one hole,
in one place.

Sinks in them days didnt have holes

They were universally butlers type china basin with just a drain hole

Or maybe a galvabised tin thing - integrated tap holes and draining
boards are a massively later development.

My parents 1953 new build had a butltres sink on two brackets soldered
lead outflow pipe and a wooden draining board on IIRC both sides. I
can't remember whether it had a hot tap or not, or whether that was only
for the bath and two WC basins.

I do vaguely remember my grandmothers sink, in her house which I think she
lived in from marriage to death, the taps were fixed to the wall behind
the kitchen sink. I can't remember what the sink was like.

Yeah, I've certainly seen some like that, particularly in
the laundry with those big rectangular concrete sinks.
https://bathrenovationhq.com/wp-cont...inishing-2.jpg

In fact I can still remember my mum washing my arse in
one of those when I managed to crap my pants on the
way home from school when I must have been about 5.
And remember the turd was still there on the footpath
the next day when I walked back to school the next day.

And plenty of places like that wouldn't have had
a hot water tap but would have had the water
heated in a big copper thing for the washing.

By and large there was never any hot water unless monumental amounts of
coal were heaped on the dining room fire for an hour or so.,

Then a 2" deep bath used by the whole shivering family resulted.

Wouldn't it have been easier to go into the garden and hose each other?

Unlikely many would be too keen on that approach.

Or were garden hoses not available then?

Available, sure, but plenty of houses here just had
a rainwater tank that was filled from the roof with
a tap at the bottom of the tank that you filled things
from and wouldn't use that to water the garden with
a hose.

I wonder where this modern idea of "you must keep warm" came from.

Nothing modern about using a fire to keep warm.

Everyone survived cold things back then....

But werent actually stupid enough to
have a cold bath every day in winter.

There's a reason they had stuff like this
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1373706131

In fact someone I know on the net said that her dad
had never had a bath or shower in his entire life. Yank.

Mostly hot water was boiled on a gas stove.