Old August 1st 17, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 7/31/2017 11:14 PM, James wrote:
On 01/08/17 12:59, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 6:19 PM, wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:48:24 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:

Hammer Heed gets a bit expensive so I'm trying these Nuun tablets.
Easier
to deal with and no sugar.

I have no personal experience with the stuff, but the ultramarathoner in
our family uses Nuun.

Try Red Bull. That is the only stuff I've tried that I can actually
feel getting into my system and improving my performance.

I've felt the pleasant kick from several of the gooey gel products
containing caffeine. I've also experienced a great recovery from
Mountain Dew.

On a hot and fast (for me) ride last year, I was dying at about 35
miles. We stopped at a Dairy Queen to cool down and I had two cups of
Dew before the ten miles or so to the end. Afterwards the ride leader
told me "You took off like a bat out of hell!"

He exaggerated, but I did finish before him, feeling fine.

I've completed the "Alpine Audax" 200km event maybe a dozen times. I
never went hunger flat. I grabbed 3-4 pieces of food from the food
supplies at each check point. Muffins and small cakes. I'd eat a few
quartered orange pieces where available while stopped. Always leave a
stop with two full water bottles.

Never used gels for those events. I have used them in some races
though. Mostly because they are easier to ingest while you're working
hard than a piece of cake or a banana.

I don't know that I've ever actually bought a gel pack. All the ones
I've had have been giveaways at invitational rides, almost entirely from
my own club's rides. Shops give them to the club to pass out to the
riders, and there are often leftovers.

The ride at which they gave the most value was my (only) double century.
I really appreciated the little kick they gave me.

--
- Frank Krygowski