Old July 29th 05, 01:11 PM
Doug Huffman

Default rust inside the frame how to treat it

JB's suggestion, and its results, sound like a 'free iron' test that I used
to do as a late step in accepting high-tech stainless steel parts. Wash the
part to remove mfgr's preservatives, wrap in a seawater soaked towel and
after twenty-four hours wipe it with an inspection cloth. The amount of
color on the cloth was an indication of how much iron was available in the
alloy and how long it would last in its intended environment. And this was
'stainless steel', wonder how surface rust effects 4130 alloy?

wrote in message

To test the value of this advice, I suggest you take a clean piece of
steel, for instance a tinned can with the tin steel wooled off, an
spray some LPS-3 or WD-40 on it before laying it out in the morning
dew for a few days.

These lubricants do not displace water but rather emulsify with it.
The inside of a frame, as I mentioned, is not at hazard from moisture
unless you work at it.

WD-40 as Gore-tex are religious icons without merit. They live
entirely on faith. Let's tie and solder spokes again as the ancients
did religiously... without merit. Also beware, smooth tread bicycle
tires will aquaplane and cause crashes on wet roads... and many more.

Jobst Brandt