Old February 5th 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Are some of these old racers riding track bikes?

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 11:17:34 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/5/2018 2:07 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 04:27:01 +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:

John B. wrote:

I believe that bikes fitted with coaster
brakes are still seen, No brake levers at
all, when you pedal backward it actuates the
brake built into the rear hub.

Sure, tho track bikes IIUC in particular don't
have coaster brakes. They are fixed so one
would brake by resisting the forward movement
of the pedals slightly until the bike stops.
I never tried this myself but I suppose it is
a good feeling riding such a bike and the
pedaling technique will probably benefit
from it.

I've only got personal experience with one Track Bike. I came across a
bicycle messenger in Bangkok riding one. He ran into my rear wheel to
stop at a red light :-)

I've never ridden a fixed gear (although my kid has). But I was
impressed by watching, then talking to, a young guy riding one in a
distant large city. He was immensely agile with it, almost like the bike
was part of his body. He demonstrated several quick stops, including
things like hopping the back wheel into the air before swinging it
sideways as he skidded to a stop.

However: There's no way a fixie can stop as quickly as a bike with
decent brakes on both wheels. And in my mind, the acrobatics of an
expert city fixie rider are like the acrobatics of a skateboarder: more
flashy than useful.

I converted my old Raleigh to fixed gear as my hack bike in foul weather. I left the Weinmann centre-pulls on front and rear as the thing weighed close to 12 kilos and removing the rear brake would make little difference.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO