Old May 11th 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

On 5/10/2017 6:45 PM, DougC wrote:
The XION (plain and Premium model) may be all there is. I been looking
around a couple hours more and still found none that were 4xAA; they're
either 3xAAA or 2xAA. I may try some cheapo ones on Amazon first
however, since two of the XION Premiums would cost $90 + shipping.

I didn't check out any Euro-specific brands because they usually cost so
much more. Pretty much all the B&M lights that I've seen before were big
expensive rechargeable ones.

On 5/10/2017 3:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Why mount upside down? Can you not fashion a mounting bracket of some
sort?

If I wanted a battery powered light, I'd probably try the IXON that
Joerg linked. But I'd do whatever necessary to mount it right side up,
if only for the optics.

The recumbent has chopper-style bars and a handlebar bag that covers the
"top" side of the bars and prevents mounting lights right-side up. And
with the Cateyes, they gave the same beam upside down.

Usually I would remove the batteries in the lights I had, if I wasn't
going to be using the bike much (like during winter). This time I just
forgot. And I left the batteries in the rear lights as well, but none of
them rotted. :|

-------

Overall, the rechargeable performance is simply NOT in line with the
prices.
For the light that a 2xAA model that costs $20 may put out, it seems
like you need to spend $50-$60-$70 for a rechargeable light to match it.

Another thing I don't like about almost all of the lights I'm looking
at, is that they have no horizontal adjustment at all. With the old
Cateye lights, they had about 8 degrees of left-right adjustment. If the
bars weren't perfectly straight where they were mounted, I still had a
bit of room to adjust them centered, since I normally only use one at a
time.

I am aware of the extra bars just for mounting lights and whatnot. I
didn't want to have to add that on.

I've done custom mounts for several different headlights, mostly because
I almost always have handlebar bags mounted. Those interfere with most
handlebar mounted lights . But I'm pretty content when fabricating a
mechanical solution to such a problem.

--
- Frank Krygowski