Old May 11th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

On 5/11/2017 7:57 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 5:44:56 PM UTC-7, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 5/10/2017 7:12 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I've done custom mounts for several different headlights, mostly because
I almost always have handlebar bags mounted. Those interfere with most
handlebar mounted lights . But I'm pretty content when fabricating a
mechanical solution to such a problem.

Welp, I ordered a couple of tactikewl flashlights and some mounts off
Amazon for about $50 (for two of each). The flashlights are 18650 or
3xAA and come with the rechargeable stuff, but also have the 3xAA insert
too. They are claimed as waterproof and have no USB charging ports, so
they /should/ (might?) keep working in the rain.

There is not a great amount of choice it seems.

Apparently roughly 95% of all the flashlights listed on Amazon is one of
maybe 6 different China models, just sold under different names and
prices. And if you disregard the "all-rubber-band-mounts" and the
"fake-Two-Fish-mounts" that don't hold, then there's only about four
different kinds of handlebar-flashlight mounts--a couple of which were
only big enough for the 3xAAA lights, and so were clearly too small for
the flashlights I got.

I can make mounts too but don't really wanna.

I used these and there is a problem with them - the beam is too narrow. But they are so bright that God can see them in heaven. So I have a second light that is much less bright and has a wide beam. This one has a rather large battery that hangs off of the top tube. Now that I'm driving again I don't need a grocery bike so it is all sitting around.

Find a flashlight with a spot to flood adjustable beam. These have an
almost ideal beam pattern for illuminating mostly straight ahead, but
with sufficient spill for side and upwards illumination, but without
blinding oncoming traffic. Not a lot of choices with AA batteries
though. 3C is more common, but that's a little big for handlebars.