Old November 9th 18, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Cold weather, sore throat

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:22:20 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

I've heard that exercising in cold weather can cause a sore throat as
(1) cold air is generally very dry air and (2) when exercising one
tends to breath through the mouth and the air is not warmed and
humidified as it would be if the air passed through the nasal
passages.

The usual recommendation is to wrap a scarf around the nose and lower
face. I think that some skiers wear a "mask" for the same reason.
cheers,

John B.