Old July 21st 05, 12:06 AM
Chalo

Default maximum weight on a Bianchi Eros frame.

Llatikcuf wrote:

Chalo wrote:

This all presupposes that you are riding in a controlled fashion over
relatively good surfaces. For example, I managed to trash more frames
when I weighed in the mid-200s than later when I weighed in the
mid-300s, through a combination of highly athletic riding, lots of
miles, and inadvisable hijinks.

The couple of frame failures I have experienced while weighing above
350 lbs. have been sudden and dramatic. Both occurred while braking
hard with a special brake of my own design, though, and I don't believe
they would have been caused by the use of any commercially available
brake.

Highly athletic at 350lbs?

I didn't say that.

However, since I'm 6'8" with a sturdy frame (and used to be even
taller), 300 lbs. represents a fit and strong weight for me. At 350+
lbs., I'm rather fat but still physically active and capable of
vigorous riding.

If you refer to the simple geometric principle that volume is
propotional to height^3, then you'll see that 6'8" and 300 lbs is
equivalent to 6'0" and 219 lbs., or 5'6" and 168 lbs. That's normal
for fit men of heavy build at those heights.

At my leanest (due to a combination of fanatical riding, vegan diet,
and "ethnopharmacology"), I measured 6'9" and about 220 lbs. That's
equivalent to 6'0" and 155 lbs., and it's not an ideal weight for
someone of naturally heavy build. I'm quite a lot stronger at 300 lbs
than at 220.

If you have had a failure of imagination about my physical scale, don't
feel bad about it. Bike, car, and airplane manufacturers do it all the
time.

Chalo Colina