Old April 1st 04, 04:18 AM
Thomas Arneberg

Default WTB: Trek 520 touring bike (21")

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:24:49 +0000 (UTC), ldomain
(Thomas Arneberg) wrote:
My trusty 1982 Trek touring bicycle (I think it's a 720) finally has
to be laid to rest, with a broken frame, after countless thousands
of miles on fully-loaded bike tours. (I told the kids tonight that
it was like having to shoot your horse when it broke a leg.)

If you're that happy with it, and emotionally attached, why not just
have the frame repaired? If it's steel, any welding shop could
probably do an okay job, and a qualified frame builder can likely do
a nice job regardless of material.
--
Rick Onanian

Well, I was relying on the advice of the bike shop I brought it
into -- they said it couldn't be repaired, even with welding.
The old frame is Reynolds 531 -- is that steel? (Please excuse
my ignorance.) Any idea what it would cost to weld this?
The derailleur is also shot, and the rear wheel destroyed.

Plus, I am thinking that MAYBE, possibly, advancements have been
made in bicycle design and construction in the last 22 years, and
it might be worth getting a newer touring bike. (I've been too
busy with a career and raising kids to notice, but that's a hunch. ;-)

Thanks,
- Tom A.
;-) I'd rather be ____ Thomas R. Arneberg |
http://arneberg.com
:-) singing in a |____| | "WARNING: Dates in
:-) Barbershop _| _| SGI ASIC Design | calendar are closer
:-) Quartet! (_) (_) Chippewa Falls, WI | than they appear."