Old August 14th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-14 09:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:05:04 PM UTC-4,
wrote: Snipped
The entire trouble in California is the excessive taxation.
The Federal government is nearly as bad.

Snipped
You want business growth in the US - stop preventing it by
excessive taxation. Here they have added an addition tax every
year for the last three years to "fix the roads" and still
haven't done anything more than patched them in the most
egregious places.

Got to pay for all that bicycling infrastructure planning and
building somehow. Bicyclist aren't going to pay it just
themselves. Thus others re forced to chi; in via taxes.

We pay over $4k/year just in property taxes. That is about 10
(ten!) times more than what we paid for a house of similar value in
Europe. And yes, I do expect something in return for that much
money. Such as bike paths.

That's it! Try triple that in Portland -- or more, if you have a nice
house. ...

Time you guys had a taxpayer revolt like the Californian Proposition 13.
I know a guy in New York who had a decent academic-level income yet his
family was essentially taxed out of their home. There are reasons why
New York, Orgeon and lots of other places are not on my list of
potential retirement places.

What the f*** are you complaining about? You think that for
four-measly-thousand you're going to get bike trails to your door.
You're crazy! Plus property taxes don't pay for transportation
infrastructure -- that is funded through transportation taxes,
usually the gas tax with general fund input.

http://www.frontiergroup.org/reports/fg/who-pays-roads

Quote "Most walking and bicycling takes place on local streets and roads
that are primarily paid for through property taxes and other general
local taxes".

You really need to look at state/federal financing of bicycle
facilities so you can at least whine about the right tax. I whine
about taxes, too, but mine are way more than yours -- and I know
where they go. Mostly to our old Soviet Union public employees
retirement system.

Same here, only worse. Many states de facto cut a blank check to unions
and now they are fleecing us.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/