Old October 28th 04, 07:17 AM
ok

Default bikes & parts - getting worse or better?

I bought a mid range priced mountain bike about 10 years ago. I use it a
fair bit but I don't actually thrash it either. The parts that are on it
seem to be of a decent quality since mostly everything on it is original
still. However, this bike is still 10 years old and after a decade of steady
use, some parts are a bit roughed up.
The biggest example the I can give you are tires. They lasted about 9 years.
I went through quite a few tubes, but the tires themselves, in my opion,
went the distance (so to speak). When I finally changed them, it was the
sides of the tires that gave up first. (Not the tread!) These new tires,
after about 6 months have lost about half their tread on the rear tire and I
can easily say that I am not riding the bike any harder.
I have talked to one of the guys in the bike shop where I purchased the
tires and told him what I have just told you. Although there are more and
less expensive manufacturers, a tire is a tire. It also seemed to him that
tire companies might be making a softer rubber compound to sell more tires.
Although, I do not find this to be out of the question, I wonder if this is
actually the case.
The questions now a
-Can I buy an 'iron man' type tire similar to my original pair that will
last me another decade?
-Have other people noticed their tires lasting less and less?
-Does anyone have any other experiences with other parts (ex. brakes or
brake pads, rims, chains etc) - Are these parts lasting less time as well?
-Is a bike made today less durable that 10 years ago?
Finally, don't get me wrong. I still drool at the new bikes coming out and
would love to buy one right now. I'm just wondering how long it would last
if I did. Any thoughts?