Old October 28th 04, 11:58 AM
Super Slinky

ok says...

-Can I buy an 'iron man' type tire similar to my original pair that will
last me another decade?
-Have other people noticed their tires lasting less and less?
-Does anyone have any other experiences with other parts (ex. brakes or
brake pads, rims, chains etc) - Are these parts lasting less time as well?
-Is a bike made today less durable that 10 years ago?
Finally, don't get me wrong. I still drool at the new bikes coming out and
would love to buy one right now. I'm just wondering how long it would last
if I did. Any thoughts?

I can't fault you for wanting to do things on the cheap, but is it
really that important that a tire lasts 10 years? Softer treads don't
last as long, but give much better grip. I would say that you can still
get tires that wear like iron, but they will also comparatively weigh
like iron and ride like iron too. You can get bike parts with any
durability you want. You can get parts designed for downhill or freeride
bikes that are built like tanks. It may be that the low-end stuff
hanging on the wall at the LBS has migrated to more lightweight
materials and construction, like more aluminum and less steel. The same
may be happening with tires, since tire weights can vary by a pound or
more.