Old December 4th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Best brakes?

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 4:17:04 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 4/12/19 9:54 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 12:39:46 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 4/12/19 2:15 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 10:12:35 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 3/12/19 6:32 am, Tom Kunich wrote:

You pretty obviously ride in fairly flat country. While I am
not overly fond of disk brakes because it is so easy to
over-apply them, they are very much stronger than normal rim
brakes on carbon rims. I have to apply the rim brakes with
almost my entire strength to get the bike to slow to a stop
at the stop signs at the bottom of many steep descents around
here. That is - with my entire strength I cannot lock the
wheels whereas with the disks I have to be careful not to
lock the brakes. I interpret that as being better braking.

Your rim brakes are the problem. Mine are fine. I can easily
have the back wheel floating when I brake hard and shift my
body weigh backward too.

Oh, you have _carbon_ rims. That's where your problem is.
Aluminium rims generally work much better. It seems you and
carbon are incompatible.

It would appear that you and carbon rims are incompatible.

What makes you say that? I have never even used carbon rims. Mine
are all aluminium, and I don't have a problem stopping with rim
brakes (or disc brakes). You said above that you have to apply rim
brakes with almost all your entire strength just to slow to a stop,
using carbon rims. Given your other difficulties with carbon
components, it seems you and carbon are incompatible.

I find it extremely difficult to lock aluminum wheels as well
unless I'm using that extremely soft brake pad material that
wears the aluminum rim braking surface out in short order.

I use standard Campagnolo brakes and pads on regular aluminium
rims, and I don't have a problem.

I have to say that I think that you people do not ride very many
miles a year. Or commute over the same ground so that you always
know where you're going to stop so you always slow up so as not
to put wear on your wheels.

I ride about 10,000 km annually. I live next to a hill that has
sections of 10% and an average grade of 7% for 2 km. I ride over
that hill in both directions for every ride. The corners are sharp
and the road is narrow. There are sometimes obstructions - like
wildlife and farm animals that I have to brake hard at times to
avoid.

Countless times I've cycled on roads with gradients up to 20%,
again with corners you have to brake hard for.

I have to say I think you make up scenarios to suit your notions.

It is almost continuous bickering with absolutely no basis in
fact. Lifting your rear wheel? Just try to do that descending a
16% grade. In San Francisco the carriers ride through stop lights
on hills like that because rim brakes are so powerful.

Absolutely I had the rear wheel floating on approach to a couple
of corners descending Mt Glorious near Brisbane, where the gradient
is close to 20% - and I had pushed myself back over the saddle.

-- JS

James - if you don't know about carbon rims please don't make
comments about them. There are a couple of youTube videos of a Brit
who bought those super-cheap Chinese aero carbon rims like me and got
over 13,000 km on the wheels without the braking surface wearing out.
And they are (were?) $250 with free shipping.

Tom - you wrote above that you also have trouble braking with aluminium
rims. I don't. I raced with countless fellow using carbon rims with
rim brakes, and they seemed to be able to stop well enough too.

Now you're changing the subject, which seems to be a standard approach
to wriggling out, to something about rim wear.

With disk brakes the rims last forever.

Well, well. Who'd have thought that!

--
JS

Changing the subject? Maybe you should learn a little English.