Old January 1st 20, 02:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default New driving laws 2020

QUOTE:
Overtaking cyclists

People may soon be encouraged to use the "Dutch reach" when opening their car doors.

You wouldn't think that would matter in a town where the streets were laid out wide enough to accommodate a cattle drive but, sure enough, last week I was screaming my lungs out when someone in a parked car opened the door into the bike lane.

Drivers will also be instructed to give way to cyclists and pedestrians when turning left.

The reason this is happening is to provide some clarity to the current Highway Code.

The new guidelines would bring the UK in line with the US, where pedestrians always have priority.

Some road safety campaigners have said the code does not do enough to explain how drivers should treat cyclists on the road.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...fences-3687626