Old November 1st 04, 02:27 AM
Matt O'Toole

Beverly wrote:

I see there has been another thread on building your own light system
but I need to buy one and want some suggestions based on how I'll use
them.

Most of my riding is done on bike trails during day light hours. I
never considered buying lights until I misjudged how long it would
take to return to the car last weekend and had to ride the last few
miles in the dark. I was a little nervous as this trail is along a
riverg I would like to have a system that can easily be removed
from the bike and possibly stored in a bag until needed. There are
so many different types and I'm not sure what the pros and cons are
for them. Any suggestions on buying a good lighting system that
won't be used too often? I'll be going to the LBS later this week
and would like to have some idea on what to purchase. I would like
to stay below $100 for the system. Am I going to be able to purchase
a good system in this price range?

Yes.

Of course the simplest is a small, AA-powered handlebar light like a Cateye
Micro, or the new Cateye EL500. These sell for $15-40. However, for dark roads
and trails I don't think they give enough light.

The next step up would probably be a 10W system with a separate battery pack.
You can definately get these for under $100. The cheaper ones have lead-acid
batteries which are heavier, but better for occasional use, especially if they
come with a "smart" charger. More expensive systems come with nicad or NiMH
batteries, which are much lighter and more compact, but don't take as well to
occasional use. Most systems have a quick release mount for the lamp, while the
battery is either in a little velcroed-on bag, or a hard case that slips into
your water bottle cage. So they can be unmounted and slipped into your bag in
seconds, rather than left unattended.

Here's one:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...&estore_ID=113

Great value, smart charger and all.

Performance has as good a selection as any, so browse around a little. Don't
forget a taillight too!

Matt O.