Old October 19th 18, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

That's monstrously unfair. Patek Philippe design and make all their
own movements, and they have many innovations to their credit.

You're probably correct. I know NOTHING about high end wrist watches.
I went to the Patek Philippe web pile, read a few pages, failed to see
any mention of innovation and that they design and build their own
movements, but did find that they hand-finished their movements. For
someone with no prior knowledge of the industry, that would be a fair
assessment. When you pointed out that they do design and make their
own movements, I went back to their web pile and searched for any
indication that they designed and made their own movements. Nothing,
unless I read between the lines and use my imagination well beyond
acceptable limits.

You might also be interested in electronic watches, in which I
own the two most complicated complications watches, both from
Citizen, one a minute repeater, which is the zenith of complications.

Thanks, but I'm not into watches. When I started carrying a cell
phone, I didn't see the need and considered a wris****ch redundant. It
might also be dangerous because I preferred a metal band, which could
provide a conduction path for a nasty shock or burn. That hasn't
happened to me, but I know several people who have had watch band and
ring burns.

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Hardly. All they've done is produce many generations of bean counters
and efficiency consultants.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D