Old June 17th 19, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Feeling strong

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 6:59:18 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 10:15:00 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 5:34:04 AM UTC-7, db wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:31:34 -0700, wrote:

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then I
realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

Hmmmm???? I can honestly say I have never ever not known I have a
tailwind and think I'm going fast because I am strong. I always know
exactly what the wind is doing and know whether it is a positive,
negative, or neutral effect.

Straight man

--
Dieter Britz

Yesterday's ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaHz6ns1aI Go to 1:06. The problem with light bikes in high winds. Minus wind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAjNIkTOLVs Yesterday the wind was maybe 5mph -- brutal, and tourist traffic was surprisingly low for a sunny day. The somewhat great thing about the ride is that the cross-county part is now mostly on rail-trails, so I get to skip the glass-strewn roads though the mullet region of east Portland. The trails do accumulate homeless in places, but I get to stay off major roads until just outside bustling Troutdale, doormat of the Columbia River Gorge. https://www.restreets.org/sites/defa...utdaleICON.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

For me, a 5 mph wind is like air conditioning in Texas where I live.

But I live close to a lake which connects to an ocean.

Andy

I was joking about 5mph being brutal, BTW. The Columbia River Gorge is a vent to the Pacific, and like the video shows, gusts at Crown Point can exceed 100mph. https://tinyurl.com/y3n9p97t

-- Jay Beattie.