Old January 25th 09, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Default Commuting to Canary Wharf - advice sought

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Phil Cook wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

If you want to see some *real* traffic holdups, try the bus jams on
Oxford Street.

I've seen them, and marvelled at the sheer stupidity of it.

The Lib Dems have a good idea here
http://glalibdems.org.uk/news/000298...trianised.html

Which in a nutshell is to close the street to all traffic and run
trams down it.

Ken was pushing the same idea at some point. I think everyone agrees it's
a good idea, it's just a question of finding the money for it.

The only problem is what you do with all the bus routes that go down it.
Do you send them via other routes, thus making those roads more congested?
Or do you cut them in half, turning round at (new bus stations at) Marble
Arch and St Giles's Circus, thus eliminating cross-London routes?

tom

--
In the long run, we are all dead. -- John Maynard Keynes