Old June 7th 04, 04:44 AM
Jim Flom

Default Bravo Freddy

"JMS" wrote...

Probably the ideal solution would be to have another race, limited to US
riders, run the same week as Philly/Trenton/Lancaster. It also would be
nice if they made Philly a harder race so that we don't get a bunch

sprint.
But face it: the Philly race is a much bigger deal than the satisfaction

of
us real cycling fans, or even the cyclists and teams. The huge crowd and
awesome civic support is special, and I bet the organizers are loathe to
screw around with the formula (and I wouldn't blame them).

It really boils down to a what -- thirteen mile (or whatever) circuit race.
The fact that it's the "US Pro Cycling Championship" and in Philly probably
speaks more to the weakness of USA Pro Cycling than to the strength of the
course (eh?). A week of crits then a circuit race. The United States --
let's face it -- can create a better course, and a better week, in an
equally strong economic center than that. I shudder to say this, but they
could probably even do better in Boston. There's plenty of local money in
Philadelphia that will try to keep it there, I am guessing, but a true
national championship can do better than a circuit race, IMHO.

JF