Old November 5th 04, 08:19 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Frank Krygowski wrote:

AustinMN wrote:

Chris Phillipo wrote

In article , says...

I'm saying that he constantly posts statistics that claim
helmet use is detrimental to the health of the people because it
deters
them from riding, I counter that in Nova Scotia helmet use is not
enforced so where exactly is this deterrent for riders?

Chris, these two statements don't oppose and contradict each other.

Come again?

Take a deep breath. Just because a law is not enforced, doesn't mean
there aren't people who obey it. The existence of the law (whether or
not it is enforced) _is_ a deterrent.

More to the point, just because a law is not enforced - or, more likely,
not _usually_ enforced - doesn't mean that there are people who are put
off by the _possibility_ of enforcement.

To go even further, the mere existence of a law purported to be for
"safety" purposes, even if it is *guaranteed* to be unenforced, can
potentially be a deterrent, since it spreads the idea, sometimes
unconsciously, that the activity is dangerous.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.